Monday, January 08, 2007

Driver Training, part Deux

As a solution to the lack of an EVOC course, or even a large parking lot nearby where I can set up pylons, I've been taking willing guinea pigs to the famed Fairway supermarket near 125th St. on the Hudson River here in Manhattan. This is the only place within twenty miles that I know of that has a clear stretch of pavement that will hold more than five cars. In fact, in itself, it's like a pre-built obstacle course just waiting to be used by college aged EMTs learning to drive the rig for the first time.

Of course, a few weekends before the Christmas break, I was having my pro tempore preceptee doing the serpentine in reverse around the thick steel columns that held the West Side Highway fifty feet above our heads when a friendly RMP from the local 26th Precinct pulls up as I'm walking alongside the vehicle, spotting the driver.

"Good Lord, what the Hell are you guys doing now?!?" says over-caffeinated patrolman.

"Driver Training," replies Yours Truly.

"Wow, you guys train a lot."

"Name of the game."

"You know, we were following you guys the other day, you were doing CPR in the back of your bus..." the Officer says.

'Uh-oh' I think, I know where this is going...

"Yeah, but we got a little confused when you guys drove past the hospital. Guess you guys were training, huh?" Officer says with a smirk.

"Yep, had to show the newbies what it felt like to be chest-pounding in the back of a moving vehicle," I respond.

'Great,' methinks, 'At least I know we getting talked about the the Precinct house, but you gotta make do with what you have.'

1 comment:

Driver CPC said...

You were quite lucky to not get caught into the troubles by the officer. I think now you should have understood where you should train yourself.