Monday, October 01, 2007

Push

Finally... after nearly 5 years as an EMT, I get to push some drugs!

Doing some ride time for the clinical component of my Paramedic class, we get an Altered Mental Status (read: probably drunk), in a homeless shelter. And while after only two and a half weeks in class, I still don't really know squat, I saw the ALS AMS algorithm being worked. More importantly, the Medics I was riding with let me push the meds. OK OK, so I didn't have to think about anything and all I was doing was pushing plungers on the stuff that the Medics were handing me, but it was still a learning experience.

Here's what we did:

25 mg Dextrose (D50W, 50 mL)

followed by

Thiamine, 100 mg (100mg/ml)

and finally,

Naloxone 0.5 mg


After all was said and done, we talked about what we pushed and why. I also looked up the protocols, and sure enough, that was exactly what it said to do. One of the Medics, who is a 25-year veteran and usually based in the South Bronx (read: YIPES!) drilled in the Six Rights of medication administration, and scolded me for initially not checking what I was pushing.

Right Patient

Right Route

Right Dose

Right Time

Right Medication

Right Documentation


Overall, a great learning experience... and I'M EAGER FOR MORE!!!

No comments: