Monday, October 08, 2007

Tired

Whew! This was a tough weekend.

The guys at my volunteer squad back at school needed a hand with shifts on Friday night and they came to me. Since I'd been MIA for awhile, and like an idiot, I decided to help them out. Overall not a bad time, however, when it came to Saturday, I knew it was going to be trying to finish the day.

I decided I wanted some experience doing the overnight shift in Lower Manhattan, so to kill a couple birds, I took a double starting 3PM and ending 7AM Sunday morning, on a BLS truck for my clinical time. We were hopping all through day and into the wee hours. Some new experiences:

-Getting left on scene by the crew
-Sleeping in the back of the ambulance (max 35 min. at 5:15AM between calls)
-Picking up an inmate from a police precinct
-Having said inmate cry all over me
-Sort out the victims of a massive fight, including our patient, who, when asked "Would you rather go to jail with everyone else, or not go to jail?" picked "Go to jail."
-Sixth Floor walkup (is there a maximum number of floors in a walkup?)
-10 jobs in 8 hours, 16 jobs total.

Let's put it this way: when I finally walked into my apartment at 8AM, I was beat, and hit the sack. I also banged out of some tours I was supposed to do today.

Back to the day job tomorrow, and the Anatomy & Physiology exam is Wednesday night.

Let's hope I make it through the week....

No comments: